BBTV is a media-tech company advancing the world through the creation, distribution, management and monetization of content. BBTV provides end-to-end solutions to content owners including proprietary tech, leading services and enhanced distribution & monetization. We have built proprietary VISO technologies leveraging machine learning, digital signal processing and big data to power our platform and ecosystem. Our key revenue streams represent the most relevant and scalable opportunities for monetization of digital IP across advertising, SaaS/content management, mobile apps and other revenue streams. BBTV is the second largest video property worldwide in terms of unique viewers following only Google, reaching tens of billions of monthly impressions.
Working closely with Executive Leadership and Board of Directors, the Head of Legal will provide day to day leadership for the legal team, while performing complex legal work that supports BBTV’s growth. In addition, this role will collaborate with the Corporate Secretary, setting internal governance policies, dealing with public affairs and regulatory matters, ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure.
- Provide expert and strategic legal support and advice to Leadership and all internal business units.
- Corporate Governance: In collaboration with the Corporate Secretary, provide advice on governance issues to Leadership and the Board of Directors including best practices, development of policies and decision-making processes and controls.
- Continuous Disclosure: Ensure compliance with applicable continuous disclosure requirements, advise on potential transactions involving securities law considerations.
- Privacy: Oversee compliance with, and provide advice on, all matters relating to applicable privacy and access legislation.
- Leadership: Recruit, develop, and manage BBTV’s Legal team, including providing day to day leadership for the team, coaching and mentoring driving individual and team success, 1-on-1 meetings, reviewing performance, optimizing employee retention, inter-company communication and removing barriers to success
- Business: Support and/or lead the negotiation of media and entertainment agreements related to BBTV’s strategic partnership opportunities. You will be responsible for drafting complex and specialized terms and conditions that balance BBTV’s risk and the needs of our unique client/partner base.
- Draft and negotiate an array of commercial agreements such as letters of intent, term sheets and long form agreements.
- Manage disputes combining your business acumen with your risk mitigation abilities
- Inform Leadership and management of developments in laws and regulations that may affect the business and/or its strategies
- Ensure internal stakeholders have an appropriate level of training and knowledge to improve their understanding of legal concepts
- Ensure standard form contracts and processes are in place to maximize team and business efficiency, implementing collaborative strategies and acting as the department’s advocate across the business
- Maintain and model a positive and professional attitude, that cultivates healthy working relationships across all levels of the organization
- Other duties as reasonably assigned by the Company from time to time
- A minimum of fifteen years of relevant and progressive experience, with at least ten of those years focused on securities regulatory law and commercial litigation in the technology, media or entertainment industries.
- Demonstrated experience with continuous disclosure requirements and privacy compliance in a public reporting company
- LLB degree; member in good standing of the BC Bar Association, or other provincial association (preference given to BC)
- Demonstrated track record of supporting innovative and impactful business decisions and partnerships in digital & social media, technology and/or entertainment industries
- Proven expertise in navigating complex negotiations
- Demonstrated expertise in identifying the legal risks and significance of business partnerships, transactions, and initiatives
- Demonstrated competence in drafting complex contracts and agreements, and preparing presentations and legal business plans
- Ability to present compelling and difficult legal insights to internal and external stakeholders
- Highly motivated, self-starter, able to remain adaptable and move quickly in a rapidly changing environment
- Applicable knowledge of multi-jurisdictional securities law (Canada and the United States) given preference
At BBTV, our team is everything. We offer competitive compensation packages and have a strong focus on diversity, inclusiveness and equitable compensation. We also offer flexible hours and operate on a horizontal management structure that rewards creativity and values transparency.
From our commitment to giving back (support for everyone to volunteer with a charitable or community initiative), our culture committee (social events, team-building, diversity and inclusion), and our support for personal and career development through our learning & development program, we’re not your typical 9-5 gig.
BBTV is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all people.